• News & Photo
  • News & Photo

News & Photo

2020.12.18 09:55

2020 Annual Report

Views 85991 Votes 0 Comment 0

Annual Report 2020

Adieu2020.png

Although there were no conferences that kept us busy this year, it passed through like a KTX train. As the Earth also orbits at 30 km per second, it seems that time also passes so quickly. The standard greeting these days is, "You must be busy."

But where are we going, being so busy?

One thing is certain: everyone is heading to an uncertain, unknown world.

Nothing is certain, even after completing their difficult programs and becoming somebody who others envy.

When I went to graduate school, I wasn't sure if I could graduate on time. Other seniors were doing doctoral programs for 6-7 years in other labs. After completing my Ph.D., I was not sure if I could get a job because it was just after the IMF financial crisis. In that period, even the contracted job positions of industry-academic scholarship students were canceled, and many postdocs were waiting more than 3 years being accumulated in the research institutes. Even though I got a job at KAERI, I was unsure what to do after 5 years. At first, I worked on UO2 fuel. Next I did SFR metal fuel after I returned from the United States, and then I participated in the research reactor fuel team after I visited the IAEA. When I joined KAIST, I started in an empty lab, and so far, each year has been uncertain. Also, it's quite unclear what kind of research I should start next year. Uncertainty seems to be the first principle.

There were many options and decisions.

Choosing a route from multiple intersections is not easy. Sometimes we are overwhelmed by the fear of making the wrong decision and regretting it. I think the reason why many students want to have a job that many people prefer is that it seems less regretful when they choose the way the majority follows. When I look back, some things didn't work, although I tried hard, and other things  worked, even when I didn't. So whatever you choose, the results will depend on how you do it later. There cannot be only one right answer to your selection. Either A or B can be chosen, and a new way will open, and depending on how you deal with it, the results will vary. You don't have to guess the right answer now, but you should dive further into an unknown world.

We may already be on the way.

It is not that your dream journey begins when you endure and complete a program. Instead, it is like you are already traveling on board. Some walk slowly, and others take a fast KTX, and each person travels differently. So, it is like we all got on at different stations, but by chance, we gathered in the same place at the same time.  Someone will get off at the next station and one day we will all be scattered according to our different destinations. Some will travel lonely, and others will have an exciting journey. No matter which direction you go, all you have to do is make your favorite trip meaningful. When you travel, you will not travel to show off to others. We don't travel to compare ours with others. We are following an interesting or meaningful path. When you come across the intersection you can have some hesitations, but no matter which direction you go, a new journey will continue.

Trial and error

When we write a paper, it is easy to ignore the value of trial and error, but all the important materials we use are the product of the trial and error. You can think at a higher level than before by the result of trial and error. If you are only worried, you may get involved in emotions rather than facts, but trial and error can teach you a lot about reality. I think the great thing about graduate school is that you can try an idea right away and fail as many times as you want. Not just thinking, but trying a lot is effective for understanding what you like and what you’re good at. Why do managers make critical decisions quickly? This is the result of numerous attempts and failures.

Since each of us has only once in a lifetime” experience here, I sincerely hope that this moment here will be your meaningful journey.