• News & Photo
  • News & Photo

News & Photo

2023.09.14 22:05

10th Anniversary

Views 119 Votes 0 Comment 0

1000.PNG

I look back at the photos I took 10 years ago when I started the Nuclear Fuel Materials Laboratory. 

What advice would have been most helpful to my younger self? Here is an imaginary conversation with my younger self:

1. Don't worry about how to fill an empty lab. You're going to run out of space and you're going to have to lend equipment.

2. Don't worry about not having graduate students. Soon, you'll have to share the common office because there won't be enough room for students.

3. Even though you are the only one writing reports all night because there are only foreign students, there will be more Korean students in the future.

4. Dream up totally new research and think outside the box. You'll be doing something completely new, not the same topic you've been doing at KAERI.

5. Don't judge students by their grades. Students who are passionate about research have a lot of potential, trust me.

6. Get out there and meet more researchers. Unexpected encounters can open up new opportunities. You'll be surprised at how many people are willing to help.

7. Exercise regularly, or you'll regret it later when you're out of shape. Your health is your most important asset.

8. Be patient with your students and explain things in more detail. They may look smart, but their minds may be weak. Investing in your students is the best investment you can make. 

9. Don't split up the calculations and experiments. Students all need to learn the whole process.

10. I'm glad you kept challenging them to write more and better papers. Publication is their most important asset. 

In retrospect, we grew as much as we dreamed, as much as we met, and as much as we were consistent.